How to get White Joycons (Including UI)

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by PRAGMA, Jun 5, 2018.

1. PRAGMA
    OP

PRAGMA GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    Requirements:
    • Money (Roughly $20-30)
    • Existing JoyCons (or cheap used joycons from ebay e.t.c)
    • (optional) Windows 10
    • Tri-Wing Screwdriver (for opening joycon)
    • Philips Screwdriver (for inside joycon)
    Steps:
    1. Purchase White Shells
      Personally I went for Amazon as stuff like Ali-Express and Ebay aren't great for quality.
      These are the exact shells I bought from Amazon.co.uk, you can probably find the same one on Amazon.com e.t.c

2. Replace your current JoyCon shell with the new ones
      You could also purchase new cheap used joycons from ebay, perhaps even slightly broken/bent/dirty/e.t.c and re-use them to spare money!
      Myriann's Official Video (receive this link upon purchase):
      youtu.be/8KG0zy4RxIY
      [​IMG]
      TIPS:
      - When your tightening the 2 screws near the R/ZR and L/ZL do NOT tighten it fully. Tighten it almost loosely. Otherwise your -/+ buttons will be extremely stiff, almost unpressable.
      - When taking apart the ZL/ZR buttons, be extremely careful not to break it off or the 2 springs will fly out possibly into your eye or never to be seen again. Mine sprang so far I was looking for it for 30 minutes, couldn't find it, Packed it up with the 1 spring I had left, (was still working) and then found it literally inside my iFix-It toolkit where the screw-top-bits go in.
      - Remember when putting in the buttons that they are the right orientation and position, otherwise for example, B will be where A is e.t.c
      - The reviews on Amazon note about - and + buttons being too stiff/flush with the case, this is NOT true. They tightened the screws too much like I explained in Tip 1.

3. Change the UI color of your JoyCons on the Joycon Firmware
      Download @CTCaer 's tool here, this allows you to edit the UI colors. instructions are on the thread.

4. Done!
      You now have 100% white joycons as if they are from the factory!
      Only difference between these and official ones if they ever get released, is a different material, somewhat better quality, and FCC notes e.t.c on the back of the joycons.
    Result:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by PRAGMA, Jun 5, 2018
  2. gameboy
    This message by gameboy has been removed from public view by Issac, Jun 7, 2018, Reason: Cleaning up.
    Jun 6, 2018
  3. Brayton
    This message by Brayton has been removed from public view by Issac, Jun 7, 2018, Reason: Cleaning up.
    Jun 6, 2018
  4. CharlesHoy

CharlesHoy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2012
    I’ve done this to my switch they look great! With UI colours too. I was surprised to see in 1,2 Switch the joycon colours change in game too!

Attached Files:

PRAGMA likes this.
  5. SomeGamer
    This message by SomeGamer has been removed from public view by Issac, Jun 7, 2018, Reason: Cleaning up.
    Jun 6, 2018
  6. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    How do you know the quality is better on amazon compared to ebay or aliexpress?
    Which ebay listing should we stay away from?

Because I would assume it's all from the same factory.

gnmmarechal, x65943 and TerryG like this.
  7. swabbo

swabbo Wot u doin readin dis m8?

Mar 9, 2011
    East Yorkshire/ A Bin
    Where do you think the people selling them on Amazon get them from?

SuzieJoeBob, Trappie, cearp and 2 others like this.
  8. SG3xHERO

SG3xHERO Member

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I'm looking into getting the dbrand stickers for the console and joycons so I can get full white switch

9. PRAGMA
    OP

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    Usually aliexpress would go for very cheap materials and are super slow at delivering
    ebay is realtively the same, they could have bought from aliexpress or made their own with cheap shit
    The amazon one I linked I bought and can confirm is pretty good quality, feels relatively the same as the original joycons.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

They also sell a backplate. But they dont give stuff like gamecard as white. But you could ship it down to places online that would drip paint it or do it yourself, take it off, get some newspaper and carefully spray paint a thin white cover.

10. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Stuff from AliExpress is slow because itsi coming from China and they usually don't charge you shipping iirc. The shit on Amazon is often the same as eBay and AliExpress if it isn't a really big brand, and a lot of cheap electronics and third party stuff is usually more on Amazon because they've had to import it and their factoring that anf shipping speed into the price (even if you also have to pay shipping). Generic electronics (including headphones, cables, chargers, adapters, some 3rd party controllers, cheap microphones, etc.) is often just rebranded wholesale stuff you can source for significantly cheaper if you have the patience. It's all being built for cheap in Chinese factories (out of the same or similar materials) but a lot of resellers know that people are either ignorant or want their stuff right away so they charge you twice (or more!) as much.

cearp likes this.
  11. PRAGMA
    OP

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    $20, Amazon Warranty, Way Faster shipping (4 days ish for Ireland and around 2 for UK compared to like 2 months maybe 3 from anywhere else), take my money.

12. TheRedfox

TheRedfox Admire our great leader ;o;

May 17, 2012
    Korea, North
    Nope
    [​IMG]

I don't think aliexpress is slow at all :), but hey i'm happy to live as DPRK embassador in the country with best chink service now :D

13. jaysea

jaysea GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    @TheRedfox: what about the time between ordering and dispatch? From AliExpress that’s probably the longest wait.